Saturday, March 1, 2008

Addictions...UGH...

Ok...Yeah I know, a bummer kind of subject, but a very real issue that I think needs to be addressed. As I type, my alcoholic cousin who I love and adore is once again passed out on my couch. He's so young (32) and just killing himself by drinking himself to death. We have tried to help him so many times. For sooo many years.. It's so hard to watch someone you love, not care, and not want help. I realize you cant help people who don't want help, but its sooo hard to watch people you love destroy their lives. 2 days ago he agreed to check himself into the emergency room because he coughs up blood, poops blood, and has a huge swollen belly due to his liver/drinking, and horrendous stomach pain. He stayed one night at the hospital, and got some tests done, but he still needed more, for tomorrow, but he checked himself out because he wanted to smoke a cigarette... but the cigarette was not really the reason.... several hours later he bought a bunch of alcohol and "back to normal" which for him is throwing up all over the couch, and stumbling down the hallways, falling all over the place, wandering the streets etc.... So why do I share this story? Well I'm sure many of you have family or friends that you love going through the same stuff... Anyone have advice? or even success stories to share? It would be much appreciated.
We are soon planing a family intervention for him.

No comments: